Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Donated lunch bags for benefit auction

I recently discovered that one of my high school classmates (herein referred to as "Steve", because that is his name) is fighting with stage 4 colon cancer.  It doesn't sound good.

A friend who is helping out with a benefit for Steve and his family (we'll refer to her "Bambi", for pretty much the same reasoning) suggested I donate some lunch bags for a silent auction.

I didn't know Steve especially well. But what I remember of him, he was a stand up guy. Friendly. Decent.  Kind. And even if that had not been the case, this kind of heinous cancer is tragic to see in one so young. And, he's important to a lot of people who I do know well and are active in my life. So their frustration and concern becomes mine. A few hours of my time seems like a pretty small donation, in the big picture.

I discovered that, when I actually care about the quality of the work, it's really hard to stick to the "about a half-hour" rule I've tried to set for myself. So, in the end, I spent about an hour a bag. I was also surprised at how the final product was effected by that extra half-hour and the knowledge that this was for a good cause and real peoples' money.

Michigan State University - Sparty

University of Michigan - Wolverines

Spongebob Squarepants

Kermit the Frog

Superman







No comments:

Post a Comment